Friday, June 22, 2007

Lauralai-Joy-Joy

Ironic that my most real practice at being a doctor so far came while pretending to be a nurse. However, I was dubbed "the best nurse ever" so I can't have done too bad a job. The Challenge Summer Camp was in need of a camp nurse from Tuesday night through Wednesday night. Bored med student on summer break to the rescue. I proved myself rather adept at smearing Neosporin on Band-aids and telling girls to lie down and sip water. Things every mom should know how to do. However, my presence was appreciated by one mom whose twin girls were both on a beta-blocker for long QT syndrome. I was able to explain to them from personal experience what being on a beta-blocker feels like and that they shouldn't worry about their hearts. That felt good. Also, I apparently was fun enough that a few of the girls kept looking for excuses to come up to see me, and to stay for 45 minutes telling me stories that only middle school girls get that excited about. I wish I could have stayed longer, and at the same time, I was relieved to go home. It's daunting being THE medical professional on site, and really uplifting to actually seem competent. I'm still a long way off from M.D., but I'll take "best nurse ever" for now.

On another note, I'm starting to consider working with kids with disabilities as a result of some training classes for autism that I've been able to sit in on. Really fascinating strategies for intervention in toddlers that I could totally see myself using some day. Or maybe it's just for my own personal knowledge and enjoyment. Who knows.

No comments: