Sunday, June 10, 2007

Wishing upon a star

Pictures will be up on Facebook soon (right guys?) but I'll jot down some memories from this weekend while they're fresh. My friend Kim got married yesterday and truly honored me by asking me to be her Maid of Honor. I asked the Best Man if he thought it was corny that I said that, and he said no, and I'm making him the official judge. Not only was it an honor, it was also one of the most fun weekends of my life.

Thursday, Bachelorette party. Fairly fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants, thanks to my busy schedule/lack of planning/mini-golf course closing due to "inclement weather." I think maybe you can get a sense of the night by getting a glimpse of our conversation.
Kim's house before we left: "I think I peed a little."
Party City to get us all decked out: "I'm a tease!"
Target to get socks for the back seat: "What's it say?" "Bachelorette." "Oh, are you getting married?" (Here's your sign! Kim wanted to say, "No, I just get the best strippers when I wear this.")
Bowling alley: "Jasmine just got hit on by the shoe lady."
Friday's (too many to pick just one): "No salt!" "Zero fun, sir!" "This tastes like feet!" "Who's the sober one?"

Friday, Rehearsal. Met Bethany, Nathan's sister, other bridesmaid; Nathan's parents; groomsmen. The groomsmen decided that when we were walking down the aisle, we had to say "Gail" every time our right foot hit the floor. Gail was the wedding coordinator, who had everything under control, right down to tape markings where we should stand. I asked Michelle later if she was also getting excited just standing up there on the altar (stage) thinking about it. "I was thinking how I was going to see the tape mark under my dress." Nice to know we were all taking it seriously. Dinner was freaking amazing. When that's all you have to pay for, you can sure make it nice. Between the filet mignon the size of my head, Francois the lovely French waiter with a bolo tie, and the chocolate mousse cake, I was in seventh heaven.

Saturday, Wedding. Showed up at 8 to get ready. So many funny memories from that hour alone. Took pictures, tripped up the stairs practicing walking up with our dresses and flowers, made sure we ate so we wouldn't faint during the ceremony, took more pictures, prayed with Kim, used a whole box of dryer sheets on Jasmine's dress, took more pictures, etc. The actual wedding was beautiful. I tried so hard not to cry so I wouldn't ruin the eye makeup that Heather had worked so hard on, but my nose was running quite a bit. It was surreal and so grace-filled to be on the altar with Kim, as a witness to her commitment to Nathan and as a friend beside her to support her. And no one tripped going down the stairs, so that's a plus. The reception was, we'll say, calm. We always joke that Nazarenes don't believe in pre-marital sex because it leads to dancing. And I didn't mix that up. But my toast went over well, so I'm told, the food was good, and I think Kim enjoyed herself, which is the most important thing. I got hit on both sides of the head going for the bouquet and so was nursing my wounds as Michelle came up with it. We always said she would be the first to marry.

Anyways, thanks to Kim for a wonderful time, and to my "new best friends" for making me laugh so hard. The Lord bless you and keep you...

No comments: