Wednesday, August 28, 2013

To read makes our speaking English good

I've been on a roll lately with choosing my books. It's justified my commitment to read more than just dramatic fluff, and increased my desire to have some sort of book club in which to discuss my good finds. Instead, I'll just tell you about them.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (not to be confused with Mrs. Pettigrew Lives For a Day)--reminiscent of Jane Austen's commentary on manners, class, and interferring in matters of the heart. A retired British major and widower finds a kindred spirit in the widowed Pakistani shop keeper, and together they work through family drama, racial misunderstandings, and Kipling's poetry. Believable characters I wanted to root for, with human flaws and perseverance.

Divergent--a dystopian drama bordering on fluff, considering that I read it in a single 5-hour sitting, but also an interesting discussion of what society values, the tension between one's tendencies and one's choices, and how loyalties are formed and changed. I found myself unable to keep from turning the pages, but also wanting to slow down and savor the deeper themes. Already reserved the sequel at the library.

Frankenstein--how did I get this far in life without this ever crossing my bookshelf? Nothing like Mel Brooks' interpretation--which nonetheless deserves its place amidst the cultural icons--it is a fantastic true horror story, dreamed up--quite literally--as part of a contest between Mary Shelley, her soon-to-be-husband, and Lord Byron. The original story is far more believable than Hollywood's green monster spin-offs--the frenzied obsession as Dr. Frankenstein pursued the secret of life, the repulsion he felt when he succeeded, and the fear and dread that haunted him the rest of his life, running from his creature's vengeance. Definitely a classic for a reason.

Not sure what's up next--I've got a small stack on my bookshelf--but as always, I'm up for suggestions.

1 comment:

Jim Z said...

Nice to have some time to read, right?