Tuesday, August 20, 2013

...and follow Me

Yesterday in the Gospel, Jesus encountered the rich young man, who went away sad, unable to detach himself from the things of this world to gain the next. It's easy for me to simply think of material possessions that I could give up, and consider myself good to go. I have all of two purses, still sleep in a twin bed, and Michelle is embarrassed by the paucity of my DVD collection. But to me it's all just stuff.

However, as I reflected, I realized that it's easy for me to be detached from things when I am financially secure. If someone wrecks my car, I have insurance, and the ability to buy a new one. I am not living paycheck to paycheck, and can afford splurges like a trip to Ireland or an extra dinner out. I tithe, yes, but it has never been a matter of deciding whether that money goes in the collection plate or to pay my electrical bill. Would it be as easy for me to be detached if I had no way to replace the things I owned?

Furthermore, what of attachments to things besides possessions. If Jesus asked me to give up my job, would I follow Him? What about my health and ability to be active? My eyesight or one of my limbs? My family? The opportunity to worship freely, or to live in a land of relative peace? My ability to call my free time my own? Would I, too, be walking away sad?

And yet, all of these things are gifts from God, not things I've earned. Why should I not be willing to give them back to be with Him?

No comments: