Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Residency 3.11: Board Review

Okay, this wasn't a real month per se, but I'll check in and give y'all an update. I actually stuck to my study schedule pretty well, and while the hours spent studying weren't always what I'd planned (or probably needed), I did at least cover all the topics, get through all the MedStudy books, and do like 500 questions. Apparently some of this stuff is actually relevant...one of my night in the ED on a float shift, I saw my first case of popsicle panniculitis (what? I know!) and then 3 days later had the same thing as a board question--true story!

One of the reasons I didn't get more studying done was that I was constantly horizontal...I was EXHAUSTED! I think the combination of coming off PICU, finally being able to relax, and trying to catch up with 3 years of residency sleep debt caught up with me. I was sleeping 10 hours at night and still needing naps during the day. There were times I couldn't drag myself out of the recliner/off the couch. And now that I'm all sort of caught up, I'm right back to Hem/Onc with 28-hour calls and a wonky sleep schedule.

I also didn't get quite as much training in for the Hospital Hill 10K as I had hoped. Nonetheless, I discovered that listening to "Catholic Stuff" podcasts while running is actually more enjoyable than music, and that I can in fact enjoy running. Fun race, great weather, check another thing off the list!

It's also hitting me that we're nearing the end. We had our class retreat, I had my final performance review with my program director, yesterday was the graduation awards ceremony, and we have graduation in 3 days. I'm gonna have to start saying goodbye real soon and it makes me sad. What an incredible three years this has been. More than I ever could have imagined or hoped for. Super excited to have the fam in town to meet everyone and vice versa (cause they've heard a LOT about the Zapapi), and to have an evening for just our class.

No comments: