Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Residency 2.10: ER

Last night's shift felt like it was never going to end. I think one of the things that the control freak in me hates the most about the ER is the unpredictability. One night we completely cleared the board and I sat around for an hour and a half catching up on work and doing nothing, and two nights later we're literally sending out-of-town referrals to hotels because we can't let them wait around until the specialty clinics open. I'm more of a steady, work at my own pace kind of person. If anyone figures out what career that points me towards, let me know.

I don't have much to add that was all that different from previous ER months, except that I think each month I get a little more jaded about what people use the emergency room for. I could tell you some stories. Except then I start to get bitter. On the plus side, I'm getting more comfortable doing procedures and making decisions on my own, which is always my goal in the ER. It's one of the places where we get the most autonomy, and I push myself to take advantage of it.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Jim Z said...

It's easy to get jaded by other's laziness or incompetence. Just remember, as you said...You're there to learn and serve.

Sounds like life in general, huh?
As always...thanks for sharing!