Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Residency 2.7: Community Office Month

I spent the last month at a community pediatrics office, an experience meant to expose us to the scope of practice and lifestyle of your average outpatient general pediatrician. You would think that since the goal of residency is to train a general pediatrician that we would have more experiences like this. I wish we did. The patient population served by the office I was at was way different (read: more educated and possessing health insurance) than that served by Children's Mercy in general. And the questions are way different. Not so much, "Can you help me buy a crib?" and "I missed my bus, how do I get home?" and more of the "I'm a little worried she didn't learn all of her colors before her second birthday, how far behind is she?"

Okay, that's stereotyping a bit. In truth though, it was a great window into what I envision my career likely being--seeing kids from the time they're born until they off to college, knowing their siblings names and their parents' jobs, and being able to recommend normal over-the-counter stuff without having to worry that they can't afford it. Being able to spend some of the visit having tickle fights because you saw them last month and know you already went over how to treat a cold. But also being able to see a 4 week old with bronchiolitis and be able to see him the next day, that continuity of care that just isn't possible when you're off to something new every month. I know I'm in a learning phase, and I have a long way to go, but I'm excited to get to the next step too. Cause I'm pretty good at tickle fights.

No comments: