Thursday, February 23, 2012

Almost a lifesaver

In my first year of medical school, they had this big tent out on the quad where you could swab your cheek and sign up to be part of the National Marrow Donor Program. Being all young and idealistic about my new chosen path of saving lives, I naturally swabbed away. And kind of haven't thought about it since. Today I got an email saying I could be a match. I almost had a heart attack.

So many questions--would I get chosen and get to save a life? When would this happen? Would I be able to get off work? If I was chosen, would I have to do a bone marrow aspirate? (Cause I've seen them done...they do NOT look fun! At least not from the patient's standpoint. From our standpoint, it was pretty cool...until Becca sprayed blood everywhere...long story)

Turns out I was WAY ahead of myself and when I called the registry, I found out I was disqualified for now on a bit of a technicality. And I'm not sure if I feel more disappointment or relief. Probably both. I have the utmost respect for those who choose to be donors, especially for complete strangers. I suppose that when I signed up, I really did hope that I could save a life some day. And if for that, if I have to suffer through someone jabbing a HUGE needle in my hip, then I guess I'll do it...some day.

For now, I'll have to save lives the old fashioned way.

No comments: