Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

I don't have profound thoughts to share today, but like so many, I feel a need to say something. Ten years ago, I remember as we all struggled to wrap our minds around the unimaginable, there was this urgent, very tangible need to share where we were, how we heard, who we knew. I found myself drawn by this compulsion to take in everything I could--photos, testimonies, articles, videos, mementos. People emailed stories and reflections, trying to make sense of it all, needing to put to words the turmoil that they felt inside. I think we all knew that so many years later, as we would look back, we would need to have it all cemented, something to come back to. We remember in exquisite detail that morning, and we are still sharing. Still in awe of the photos, still proud of those who rushed in and earned the name "hero", still defiant in the face of those who try to break the American spirit. I guess what I'm saying is that in 10 years, even though everything has changed, in some ways, nothing has changed. We still need to be heard, to feel connected, to share in the sufferings of others, to capture in photographs and poems and prose the anguish and the triumph of life. To remember.

No comments: