Sunday, September 18, 2011

Priceless

US Women visit KC...
Abby Wambach goal--check.
Priceless Pia quotes--check.
'Pinoe's Hair shirt--check.
16,191 fans chanting non-stop--check.
Cara getting Hope Solo to sign her shirt.....CHECK! (Still can't believe it!)

I love everything about this team. Cara asked me who my favorite player was and I think I listed off six names before I realized that I can't pick just one. They are all amazing examples of dedication, creativity, poise, and heart.


Pia admitted it wasn't the best soccer we've seen from these women, but she just wanted them to enjoy, and I'm pretty sure we got that down. Kansas City turned out in great form to welcome home our team. The frenzy ignited during the World Cup is still in full force as a whole new generation of fans learns the finer points of following the USWNT. I think my favorite was when a girl behind me, about eight years old, commented on a Canadian shot on goal: "You have to kick it harder than that to get it past Hope." (yeah, you do)


You know you've come a long way from "Mia who?" when Nike sells out of a shirt featuring nothing more than the outline of a certain midfielder's now-iconic hair.

No comments: