Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday with Nelson, Atkins, and Me

If you know me (and if you don't, why are you reading my blog? Seriously, it's not that good), you know that I love things that make me feel artsy, like going to the symphony or plays or art museums. But I rarely go because I never have anyone to go with. Well, today, that was not excuse enough--I went to the art museum all by my lonesome. And it was won-der-ful. Got to set my own pace, skip what I didn't want to see, and best of all, it was FREE.

I love the emotions that art can evoke, the different styles and ways of representing things, and there were some really great well-known pieces, which were fun for me to see. They had some fantastic old Egyptian and Ancient Greek stuff, a few really cool religious pieces, and a fun contemporary collection, along with a big statue garden. Pictures of some of my favorites are below.

One of the cool contemporary pieces

Rodin's Adam. The Thinker was outside in the sculpture gardens. I used to play a computer game called Thinker, and ever since then I have wanted to see it in person. Check.

One of the giant Shuttlecocks out on the lawn, commissioned especially for the museum

Andy Warhol's Baseball

Caravaggio's Saint John the Baptist in the Wilderness. Very cool.

No comments: