Monday, June 14, 2010

Montana Crimson

That is the color of my brand new couch. I love these names they come up with. Wish I could remember what they call my recliner color. I'll call it...mmm...espresso. That's pretty much what it looks like. I like to think my couch is more of a "high risk red" cause that's what my colorstrology color is. Not that I put a ton of stock in it, but I do love red, all things red, and if I want to say that being around it brings out my best qualities, who are you to argue? It's not your couch.


I'm all moved in, and here's what's been done since I arrived in the Land of Humidity.

Day 1: Sign lease, get a Broncos ATM card from US Bank, let a fly in the apartment (I know, Michelle, it's a pain), move lots of boxes, drip sweat, move really heavy desk and almost kill myself trying to come up the front step, fail at getting desk through bedroom doorway, almost have a meltdown, invite Rachelle over and watch how in 2 seconds she figures out how to get desk into bedroom, dinner at Denny's, sleep.

Day 2: Fill 2 shopping carts at Target yet still decline opening a Target Card, listen to torrential rain on the roof, waltz into Nebraska Furniture Mart (wait, what's it doing in Kansas?) and find clearance couch and killer recliner plus tables/lamp/bookcase and load it all in the U-Haul, watch it stop raining long enough to get furniture in the doorway, screw 12 table legs on with an Allen wrench thereby giving myself carpal tunnel syndrome (tragically, I can no longer hold a flashlight), more rain, Mass at my new potential home parish, finally figure out how to work the DVD player, STEAK'N'SHAKE (can you tell what's important?), sleep.


Day 3: Figure out bookcase is broken and will need 7 days to send replacement, buy one of everything at Hen House Market (except ketchup, dark chocolate, spicy brown mustard, and worchestershire sauce which I had to go back for), trip to the yuppie malls with Rachelle, more torrential rain (apparently my new rain jacket is not so effective at keeping my PANTS dry), watch While You Were Sleeping while unpacking, run in Antioch Park (read: the African jungle) set up NetFlix, make my first meal in the new apartment, fall asleep to MORE rain and a running toilet.

Day 4: Get butt kicked by Jillian Michaels' Yoga Burn, Blueberry pancakes (good nutrition is important), get library card, buy a new bike and accessories, have 3 of 4 maintenance requests checked off the list...waiting for more rain, praying that the money spending stops soon.

Well, there you have it. I've pretty much figured out my little 3 mile radius plus some of the nearby highways. Downtown will provide its own set of challenges. Here's to a new chapter. Stay in touch.

2 comments:

M Zap said...

today dad and i screwed on four table legs and 8 stool legs with allen wrenches. my first stool only took me about 6 tries. i can no longer hold a flashlight either. and i banged my elbow really hard on my closet door last night. too bad elbows don't make big bruises. only cheekbones.

Laura Zaps said...

that's okay. we put the table legs on inside out at first.