Sunday, November 16, 2008

I'm pretty good at procrastinating too

Whoa, must be something in the air that I have so many things I need to say.
Last one for today, promise.
But I was just thinking today (and not for the first time) that I don't have anything that I'm super good at, or super passionate about. I mean, I'm not a musician, not truly an athlete (though I pretend, and live vicariously through Mary), not a writer, not an artist. Even the things I like--soccer, biking, hiking--I'm a far cry from a true enthusiast. I just want one thing that I can say I'm better at than most people. And yes, that's my pride talking. Even the Gospel this weekend talked about the talents God has given us and whether or not we've developed them, and at first glance, I can't say I've done a great job getting returns. At the moment, all I can think is that I'm pretty good at quoting movies, and I can successfully pull off a rainbow kick 3 out of 4 tries. Not exactly paths toward the kingdom. On the other hand, I know that many aspects of my so-called talentless life are enviable. I am in a career field that I love, one that every day leaves me in awe of the great responsibility and privilege that comes with it; I have a wonderful family; I have my health; I have a future full of possibilities. So who cares if I can't play a musical instrument to save my life, or that I can't cook, can't knit, and for all practical purposes, lack a bonafide hobby. It could be worse.

As I'm writing, I maybe found one. I think that most people are impressed by my constant reading. I do plow through more books in a year than most people I know, so that's something. And by and large, I try to pick books that in some way enrich my life, whether it be through exploring history, learning about saints, appreciating the classics, or just escaping for a bit. If you need recommendations, you know where to find me.

1 comment:

Michaela said...

I think you are better than most girls at flag football. :) (Except for red)