Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Case of Joy

The difference between men and women: (actual quotes from a real live married couple)

Woman: What do you think about it? What do you think about when you think about it? What color is it when you think about it?
Man: I don't really think about it.

Woman: It was a difficult time, there was a lot of strain. We weren't talking as much.
Man: I didn't really notice anything different.

So funny. But in all seriousness, it was from a patient interview today with the parents of two girls (different families) with rare genetic diseases--beautiful, beautiful girls. I really believe that the heartache of knowing your child will not do all the things you always planned for her is balanced by the joy of such an innocent and pure life. I don't think it makes up for it completely, but I do think that all children are a gift, and was happy to see these families realize that.

It was our last PBL of forever. Very sad. We went out with a bang (in a culinary sense, not literally, like last time when Adam dented the ceiling with the champagne cork). I decided my family should have been Swedish so I could have spent my whole life making 7 kinds of cookies on the First Sunday of Advent like they do. Although maybe it's better to have the cookies and still get the Greek last name. We'll go with that.

No comments: