Thursday, September 20, 2007

Make a joyful noise

Whoa, it's been a rough week. LOTS of studying, lots of stress. But now I'm riding the post-test high, which will continue at least until Monday, because I left before they posted grades, so as far as I know, I honored. Haha, probably not, but at least it's not hanging over my head and I can look forward to the weekend. Holy cow, I'm so excited for Omaha! Soccer homestand, seeing friends and Mary and Michelle, not worrying about school for the weekend. Hazzah! I'll update you on our adventures when I get back, once I've caught up from the school I'm missing. On a bummer note, my bike got squished up in the bike rack and the rear brake is jacked up, so I gotta take that in today to get it fixed. Also today is Kelly's AHS vball game--she's pretty much the star, so I'm excited. What talented family I have.

Last night I had my first night at the Warren Village clinic. We only saw one patient because it was a slow night, but I still enjoyed myself. I still have a lot to learn (or more like a lot to remember, because I already know lots, but I psych myself up and forget it), but it's amazing how much a difference a year makes. I worked with a first year student, and he did great, but it's encouraging to see how far I've come from that deer-in-the-headlights place. I felt totally confident in examining our patient and talking to his mom and grandma, giving shots, etc. He was super cute. I showed him the pupillary reflex on me (he was super interested in all of our tools) and he was like "Whoa! How does it do that?" He drew a cute picture of him being a cop when he grows up, and he wanted Spiderman bandaids for his shots. How could I want to do anything other than pediatrics? What a great job! I'm glad we had a slow night for my first time, and I'm looking forward to going back.

Okay, more after Omaha. Hope you're all doing well.

No comments: