Monday, August 6, 2007

Father, may they be one just as We are one

On Friday, I attended the most beautiful wedding. I can't say specifically what touched me so deeply, besides that it was everything the Sacrament of Marriage should be. Being there, I truly felt God's presence. Jamila was just radiant, the perfect bride, and how cute was it that Josh was the one wiping his tears away after her vows. Psalm 23 was sung beautifully and hauntingly in Arabic, which made me wish I was Arabic, just so I could do that at my wedding. I didn't realize how perfectly the readings fit the sacrament until Fr. Michael's homily, but they were just that...perfect. All of this isn't even counting the crazy fun of the reception where the dancing began even before dinner. The whole thing made me so happy for Jamila and Josh, excited for my friends who are married or who are getting married, and also made me impatient for my own wedding, whenever that blessed day might finally arrive. I tell myself that I'm content, and I truly am being more patient with God's timing than I thought I would be able to, but if I met someone tomorrow, it sure wouldn't be too soon. I guess ultimately it comes down to the fact that marriage is a foretaste of heaven, the closest we get here on earth to the great wedding feast, and I just get so excited about that, whether it's me or someone else.

On a side note (seems I can't write an entry without a side note), I just finished a book called Dear and Glorious Physician, about the tumultuous life of St. Luke before he wrote his gospel. Not only was the medical part of it well-researched and fascinating, the personal relationships touching, but the desperate search for God reminded me how much God desires each of us and showers us with gifts beyond our recognition. If you get a chance to read it, do. It's worth it.

No comments: