Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rule #1: All guns are always loaded

I went to the shooting range yesterday. It was less Aliasque than I thought it would be, but that's mostly because all I could think about while I was in there was not breaking the rules, and hitting the target. It was surreal, the whole thing.
I felt so naive asking if the gun could fire when you pulled the slide back, but, hey, how else am I gonna know? I now know the difference between single-action and double-action, which is something you could just as easily Google, but it was more fun this way.
I hit the target on the first try. And the second try, which Dan said was more impressive. That was after taking a full five minutes to select a gun. I definitely liked the feel of the 9 mm more than the revolver. And when I say "liked," don't get the idea that I got all giddy and smiley at the thought of holding a lethal weapon in my hands. It just felt more comfortable, more powerful, and more like I was an agent, if you want the truth. Although feeling like a cowboy is almost as cool.
I kept the targets to brag about, and because no one got a picture of me with my "eyes and ears" on. I don't know that I'll go back to Firing Line, but I'm really glad I went, for many reasons. Not the least of which is that I'll never get snubbed for calling the magazine a clip.
Thanks for the lessons.

No comments: