Thursday, May 17, 2007

Rolling...

The title of the blog, for those of you who haven't been tortured by my family home videos, comes from a little slip (or perhaps intentional joke) courtesy of my twin sister, who informed my mom before going to bed one night that the moon was not outside because it went to work ("wuk"). Anyways, any reminder of my childhood makes me nostalgic, and for some reason, the following memory popped into my head.

Every time we visited my grandparents in Indiana, we would pile on the pull-out bed, crank the ceiling fan, and slip "Pippi Longstocking" into the VCR. Among other things, the theme song was forever etched in our heads from the first viewing, and so I remember one day, back at home on Roslyn Ct., Michelle and I, bored as usual, took it upon ourselves to create entertainment. We pulled out my dad's green moving dolly and some extra bungee cords, strapped one of us down to the dolly, and took turns wildly wheeling each other around the cul-de-sac, screaming at the top of our lungs, "Whoa whoa! Pippi Longstocking is coming into your world, a freckle-faced, redhead girl you outta know, the one who's fun to be around."

I don't know why that one stuck. Probably a combination of the absurdity of it and the freedom we felt flying along the sidewalk, not caring what other people thought of those crazy blond twins. I probably wish I had more of both in my life: absurdity and freedom. But for now, back to the studying, which is certainly absurd, but hardly freeing. Thanks for indulging my memories.

1 comment:

M Zap said...

you have some of the strangest memories etched in your brain.