Monday, May 21, 2007

Less than cut-throat

I know it's totally sappy and bordering on pathetic, but I was watching the 2004 WSOP Tournament of Champions last night, and saw probably the saddest hand of Hold 'Em I've ever seen. Until that point, I wasn't aware poker could be sad. Final three--Annie Duke (yay for women holding their own!), Howard Lederer (her big brother, the one who got her into poker), and Phil Helmuth (who, despite his renown, I can't stand). Phil kept getting out of the way of the sibling rivalry, which I was glad for, as I can't stand to hear him running off his mouth when he plays. Howard was all in with pocket 7's, and Annie, with the chip lead, called him with pocket 6's. "Good hand, bub." And then the flop. Q-Q-6. Annie was devastated. Naturally. I mean, she's knocked him out of WSOP play multiple times, but not like this. Not on a hand he should have won. The River played out with no help, and Bub went off with a "What a 6, Annie" and heart-wrenching hug from his baby sister. So sad. I didn't finish watching, but all I can say is thank goodness she knocked Phil out shortly after to win the $2 million. I don't think I could have handled the drama if she had then lost, to Phil no less. I came away appreciating the class and skill of the sibling duo. It put a nice sentimental ending to a weekend full of competitive flag-football, during which I apparently earned titles as "Total Dominance" and "Big Pun" (from my "Punisher" designation on my jersey). It was so much fun, I'm not gonna lie. I love scoring touchdowns, sacking QB's, and even the painful stiffness the day after. But it was good to remember in the end there are more important things, like family.

Awwww.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!
I was watching that show too- I know - how nerdy. At least you had exactly the same thoughts on the whole thing as I did.