Sunday, February 10, 2013

"I don't need to change myself; I like myself"

According to my mom, that's her older brother's take on conformity. Since embellishment runs in the family, who knows exactly what he said, but I like the sentiment. And I like Uncle Dave, so we'll go with it. Before Lent arrives to remind me that I'm nothing more than dust, and before Valentine's Day shows up to tell me I'm incomplete without a man, I figured I'd lay it out there that I'm me and that's good enough.

Here's the thing...

I like to read, like a lot, and if the last seven things you read were all off the rack in the checkout aisle, then it's hard for me to take anything you say seriously. Likewise if anything on your bookshelf starts with "50 Shades of..." There's something to "poison in, poison out" and I don't want to spend my time pretending that romance novels (or worse) or tabloid covers are reality. And I feel the same way about movies. I never want to see "The Hangover" or any of its sequels. Or anything that relies solely on crotch humor, or on degrading the sacrament of marriage, the Church, respect for women, honesty, or good judgement. My time is too valuable for that. I pretty strictly screen movies that I'm going to watch. And I think I'm going to stop apologizing for that.

I don't like to wear makeup. I did finally decide to bring my makeup into the 21st century, but I'm pretty content not to cake something on my face that I'll just have to wash off everyday. Sorry if you don't like the way I look without it. Same goes for not highlighting my hair or spending insane amounts on haircuts. My mom cut my hair all the way up through medical school, and I turned out just fine (though still single, yes, I know). I don't want to own hundred dollar purses and clothes that I'm afraid to get baby drool on. I hate shopping (unless it's at REI or Barnes and Noble) and I'd rather go barefoot than wear heels. I hate spending money on stuff, because it's all just stuff. I don't need a hand mixer or a printer or a full-size bed or cable TV. I'm doing fine without all those things (although yes, now I own a hand-mixer, even if it currently lives in Denver).

I like sports. And talking about them. And watching them. And playing them. And I may have become very intense one or two (or a hundred and thirty seven) times while doing all of the above. Oh, well. Again, I think I'm going to stop apologizing for that. No, it's not very ladylike, but who cares?

I hate talking on the phone. I don't know any of the top songs on the radio. I'm not a good skier, and that doesn't make me a bad Coloradan. I still like Lucky Charms. And Return to Me. And Hanson.

So there.

Now, on to preparing for Lent...

ADDENDUM: Make no mistake, the above is just a rant. The truth is that I do need to constantly be evaluating myself to see whether I'm in line with God's plan for me, and that I should like myself because God likes me. Loves me, created me, holds me in the palm of His hand. But still, I'm not getting cable.

1 comment:

Jim Z said...

Being w/o a man does not make you incomplete. Being w/o Christ in your heart makes you incomplete...therefore, IMHO you are complete!

P.S. I like yourself too!