Monday, February 11, 2013

Declaratio

Today Pope Benedict XVI announced to his brother cardinals that he would be stepping down at the end of the month. My initial thought was "Why?" I so admired JPII's perseverance to the bitter end, when it was no longer glamorous for him to speak before an audience, when he couldn't be the outdoorsman he once was, when he received the Sacrament of the Anointing of the sick. Why would he step down when there was so much to be gained by staying put. And yet, as I read his statement, it all made perfect sense. He's not JPII. He has different gifts, a different purpose for us. I'm glad he didn't feel the need to follow in his predecessor's footsteps, that he was able to discern for himself God's will in this difficult time. I found a quote that puts it more eloquently and succinctly than I could. "Pope John Paul II remained in office so that he might show us how to suffer and how to die. Pope Benedict XVI is leaving the Papal Office so that he might show us how to live in humble honesty." (-Sr. Mary Theresa)

Because he was elected on my birthday, I'll always feel that BXVI was a special gift. In my mind, when Blessed John Paul II died, no one could fill the void. And yet he did, with a humility and faith that largely flew under the radar, but that was much needed. I am grateful for his leadership and service and sad that I didn't know him and his work better. 

No comments: