Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 6 and 7--The Roof of Africa (and back down)

9/30--0800. I'm exhausted. Sorry that that's the first thought but it's true. [Now that I'm back and have slept and can breathe again, I will add in a bit more commentary to the summit experience.] We had good weather in terms of clear skies and little wind [Remember, we started at midnight, so it was dark even with the full moon. The stars and a full moon are beautiful at 19,000 feet. I had to take quick glances or I would trip on a rock, but seriously, gorgeous], but it was cold enough that the CamelBak bladders and our Nalgenes started to freeze [using an insulator and blowing the water back into the bladder only worked for a few hours, then everything iced over anyways. We didn't want to take any breaks because as soon as you stopped moving, everything got a lot colder. So even though we were all pretty nauseated and uncomfortable, we kept moving]. We took it pole pole. In the dark, all you could do was follow the person in front of you, step by step, try not to trip, and ignore the discomfort. [As I was walking and praying, meditating on the walk to Calvary made me smile in solidarity with Christ. It wasn't that I received some amazing strength or that I didn't feel sick. Instead I cherished the weakness and the nausea and the chills because they brought me closer to His suffering. Thank you for everyone who allowed me to pray for them. I know that God knows the fruits of those prayers, even if I never will.]

At the top of Uhuru Peak, the highest point in Africa
We summited at 0540--right at 5 1/2 hours, which I understand is good time. I had my iPod going, and as we got to the top, "All Glory to God" was playing, which felt so appropriate. I just felt relief at the summit. Just take pictures and get down. It was so cold. [I know, I'm pretty articulate when deprived of sleep and oxygen.] The sun started to rise as we were descending and it was gorgeous! The glacier and Mawenzi Peak were stunning. Right as we left the summit we saw our Utah friends (they made awesome time!) and I think when she saw us, (their) Mary almost cried. It's been a long week!

2000--Final dinner at Mweka Camp. Huzzah for more meat! [The last day and a half at altitude, we had run out of meat, as it wasn't safe to have stored it for that long, but they had people truck supplies up from the bottom to the last camp.] Our appetites are back. We got to try the "stiff porridge" that the porters eat every day--looks like thick mashed potatoes and tastes a little like hominy. I'm glad that's not what we were eating, but also glad we got to try it. Now even though I slept for 3 hours when we got to camp, I'm ready for bed.

Sprite never tasted so good
10/1--1030. Back down at the gate. Every step hurt. But at the bottom we had chairs and cold soft drinks waiting for us. [We got our certificates and a few more pictures and then were trucked off to a hotel for showers before the LONG trip home, which wasn't all that exciting.]

Zapapi and the Kiliwarriors
Thanks for reading along! Poa sana sana!

No comments: