Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 5--The final push

9/29--Better spirits this morning. The sun is up and the view is breathtaking. Summit behind us and a huge valley below, and the ever-present blanket of clouds. Altitude may be affecting our clarity of thought. Michelle tried to put her second gaiter on top of the first one. "Well, that's not effective!" I called Dad's hat a shirt. We're all excited that we only have to wake up once more in the cold--tonight for the summit. It's our least favorite part. I think after this, I'll be a warm weather camper only. And I may splurge on my heating bill this winter. [Just switched on my heat last night. What happened to fall???] All I can think about is being warm. [Part of this is because at altitude, my brain had a lot of trouble multi-tasking, so I could only think about one thing at a time anyway.]

1245--We've set up our final ascent camp--800 feet above Barafu Camp. This evening should be interesting. Lunch at 1300, then nap, dinner at 1700, a quick briefing, then another nap, then up around 10 or 11 and off at midnight. We're still force-feeding Mary and Michelle.

1930--Pulse ox 85%, resting HR 100s. [My handwriting at this point is nearly illegible, either from fatigue, altitude, trying to write while inside my sleeping bag, or all of the above.] Trying to take a second nap but I slept like a rock for 4 hours this afternoon so I'm not all that tired. Appetites were good at dinner--caramel cupcakes for dessert! I can't believe we're really doing this. God willing, we'll be back here to camp for a nap after having summitted in 12 hours or so. The full moon over Mawenzi Peak [The second highest of the three peaks on Kili] is gorgeous tonight. The summit will be beautiful.

Moon over Mawenzi
 2300--Slept a bit. Clear skies. Let's do this thing. Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, pray for us.

All dressed up with somewhere to go
Stay tuned for the summit!!!

No comments: