Friday, March 16, 2012

Down time

I’m on my second overnight shift in the PICU. The fact that I’m having time to blog is encouraging, although I fear that it will come back to haunt me in the next few days. I don’t have a whole lot to share, but posting is one of the only ways I can stay in touch with the outside world, since all my time is spent at work or sleeping (see post from 3/5). The PICU in general is steadily busy, but there is a huge spectrum ranging from blog posting to stay awake to never sitting down and having 34 verbal orders to sign at the end of a shift (which thankfully, I haven’t experienced yet, but like I said, I’m expecting payback for this night).

One thing that is striking about the unit is how differently each of the attendings does things. There are a dozen different ways of solving the same problem, from different meds to different fluid choices to how quickly you make changes. It makes keeping up a little difficult, but it also makes for learning a lot of different options in a short period of time. As long as I can swallow my pride about looking stupid when one attending does things totally different than the last one (and usually they switch just as I’ve gotten used to one way of doing things), then I think I will be fine.

I’m almost halfway there.

No comments: