Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Residency 1.11: ED Round 2

2nd month in the Emergency Department this year. I have to say I rather enjoyed myself. Perhaps it had something to do with the 10 days of vacation and only 10-hour shifts, but still. Summer is definitely "ortho season" as most nights we keep the resident on call busy running from room to room putting casts on kids who came up against a trampoline or a soccer ball and ended up on the losing end. A fair amount of stitches too. My favorite was the kid who flipped off the A/C unit and split his forehead open (Mom's defense: "He's really good at it!"), although there was also the boy who got bit by a horse in the armpit (how does that even happen???). As long as kids are kids, we've got job security, that's for sure. I do like the variety of the ED, just not necessarily the acuity. I may keep urgent care as an option for my future, but don't hold me to it. Until next time...

No comments: