Monday, July 26, 2010

Making our speaking English good

I love walking to the library.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and would hunt the shelves each week for the new Cam Jansen or Encyclopedia Brown, and then spend the week closing my eyes and saying "Click" or studying handwriting to see if someone is left- or right-handed. I remember the double automatic doors and the round checkout counter, and the carpeted tables in the kids' section. I remember the hollow sound of returned books thumping the bottom of the bin, and signing my first library card in my newly-perfected cursive. We used to walk out of there with stacks and stacks of books, and they would never last until the next trip.

I know that I don't have time to finish stacks and stacks anymore, unless of course I break out the Hardy Boys again. But walking home with a few books tells me that it's summer, and that my free time, however limited, will be well-spent. Happy reading.

No comments: