Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hint: It's not dancing

My attending asked me this week what I was passionate about (over a beer at Grinders, which I highly recommend), saying that it's something he asks all those he interviews. If they can't answer, they either aren't passionate about anything, or they're not self-aware enough to know (or they're embarrassed to say). Frankly, I'd rather work with someone passionate about something totally weird than someone who has no passion at all, but that doesn't mean I want to hear about your bird's trip to the vet and how many words he can say.

So I started thinking about what I was passionate about. Not just things I like. Cause I like tubing, but I'm not going to take every free weekend and find a lake. I like a good beer, but not enough to join the tour at Old Chicago or apparently enough to get my butt on one of those brewery tours. I like music, but am too lazy to really even find songs I like on iTunes. It's like, meh, whatever.

And I'm like that about a lot of things. But you gotta really love something. I think it's important to have something that will get you riled up, something you look forward to, something that you do with your free time and spare change. Besides my pillow, and loving to hate my pager (which I don't yet, but will soon), I came up with this brief list:

USWNT soccer
Bragging/telling stories about my family
14ers (and Colorado in general as the best place on earth)
Jane Austen
Burn Notice, Castle, Firefly
coffee (mostly Starbucks, don't judge)
Italian food
Removing olives from the world
the Catholic Church
kids getting their vaccines

Nothing surprising really, but that's okay. At least it's enough for an interview. (Maybe they don't wanna hear about olives) What about you?

No comments: