Wednesday, December 9, 2009

From the Trail

So I'm almost halfway done with this crazy process they call the Interview Trail. I'm learning a lot about what I want in a program--good advocacy, supportive director, forgiving call schedule--and enjoying seeing some new cities. But mostly, it's a huge relief to finally be doing this part of my training, to be scoping out what the next three years of my life will be like, to see residents who are living in the trenches and still smiling, even if they can't keep their eyes open. So, for a whirlwind tour, here's been my last 3 weeks:

Minneapolis--very cold, but not cold enough to keep the program director (PD) from biking to work; popovers for lunch--yay!; Gophers everywhere! Awesome international program, beautiful cities

Phoenix--holy cow, so much warmer than anywhere else I've been; super awesome funny residents that got sent home from kindergarten for being disruptive and get mistaken for nurses daily; AMAZING food, not limited to perfectly cooked salmon and the famous "pizookie" (pizza shaped/sized cookie); great program and great PD--"Work hard. Play hard. Love hard."

Denver--hard to beat that mountain view driving to Denver Health, or Carey's hilarious stories about being an intern ("When are they going to figure out I'm not supposed to be here?!"); pumpkin gelato, enough said. Great education and breadth of experience

Salt Lake--3 teams of Mormon missionaries tried to convert me in Temple Square; saw 120 kids (and kids at heart) sledding in Sugar House; beautiful city and great views, am already planning another visit to see all I didn't get to see

Albuquerque--crazy (in a good way) PD who in response to the question, "Does the pain radiate?" at morning report, replied, "No, we try to stay away from radiation. We don't even own a microwave!"; very supportive environment, supposedly great hiking and awesome food, and lots to see in surrounding areas.

The rest is yet to come...

No comments: