Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thoughts to ponder

I'm studying pysch/neuro today, and standard treatment for specific phobias is gradual exposure. Not only am I opposed to this when it comes to my own fear of spiders (I don't care how successful it is), but I'm wondering at the wisdom of this technique when dealing with a gamophobe (someone afraid of marriage)...hmmm. Perhaps not.

Although sometimes we lament sticking our feet in our mouth--"What I should have said was nothing...What I said was (fill in the blank)"--it certainly is hysterical when other people do it. I have never heard Laura B. laugh so hard.

However small, the thermic effect of food is very real. Good Friday, I found myself huddled next to the fireplace, wrapped in a blanket, not having the energy to do much except lay down and study. I began to appreciate how difficult it would be to truly be starving, and to lack the energy to do anything about it. Needless to say I was very glad when the day was over. Though perhaps not as glad as my neighbor, who was planning a breakfast of chocolate-chip cookies the next morning.

It's finally spring. I wore my birks yesterday, all day. Woohoo.

Seeing people I know at daily Mass is one of my favorite blessings. Especially today as we all stood in line for confession, "Consecration" in hand, smiling at each other knowingly. For as much as I enjoy daily Mass, it sure is too rare an occasion.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels as if life will seem better when I (fill in the blank: get married, have kids, become a doctor, buy a house), but I'm more than open to suggestions of how to get the most out of life now. Sort of in that vein, I'm tentatively planning trips during fourth year to Peru (for an elective, hopefully), to Vancouver for the Olympics, and one other one that I am suddenly blanking out on...oh, I think the Grand Canyon, or maybe another good backpacking trip. Travel buddies welcome.

Alright, kids, back to studying. For me, not for you.

1 comment:

M Zap said...

If I don't do a PGY2, I'll totally come with you on one of your fourth year trips.