Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Red carpet nonsense and something to truly celebrate

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this was a pathetic Oscar year, and I'm going to base that very sophisticated and I'm sure valued decision on the fact that I have seen none of the winning films (save The Bourne Ultimatum which won for sound and editing). It's not that mere fact that I didn't see any of the films, but more the fact that I had virtually no desire to (besides Juno and perhaps Michael Clayton) and the movies that won were even decried by the Vatican as showing America as a "hopeless" society. What happened to truly good movies? We can be artistic and talented and moving without being morbid and shocking and rated R. At least I think we can. I'll take a line from Bob Halligan at this point and say I'll stick with my own.

Side note--gorgeous day out. Got to walk around at Wash Park, which, let's be honest, makes any day better. A piece of mine was selected for publication in our school's literary journal, which I think I've already shared with most people who would care, but the reason I'm proud is not so much that I was selected, but that I had the guts to submit in the first place, because I've always wanted to do that kind of thing and never felt I had anything good enough to show. And I have the most wonderful friends in the whole world. Friends that make me smile, let me cry, share a meal, or a walk, or a phone call, or even a memory. Friends that can turn a day around just because. Friends that make life worthwhile. So thanks to all of you, because if you're wondering if it applies to you, it probably does. You rock.

No comments: