Friday, February 22, 2008

The Child in Me

So I've been looking forward all spring to our "Pediatrics" curriculum. I should put the "curriculum" in quotes because I hardly think that 5 1/2 hours plus one physical exam session should count as a curriculum. I mean, we have spent almost as much time talking about hand-washing and proper precautions to take against infection in the hospital (not including sterile OR technique). Not joking. However, that minor disappointment aside, I will say that the hours we have had have been great. Though many of my classmates thought our two hours on theroies of development were a waste of time, I was engrossed and entertained. Kids are so cute! You know, like when they're learning object permanence and will play peek-a-boo for hours because they are so entertained that you disappear and then reappear over and over and over.

We got to have several kids come in for physical exams (a toned-down version of what I do at preceptor every week) and I got to see an 8 1/2 year old boy who was an Irish step dancer, figure skater, piano and snare drum player, and in the choir. I felt so untalented. His younger brother had us building bridges with ear speculums and tongue depressors and all-together wrapped around his finger. So cute. I can't wait to see kids everyday (I mean as patients, not just like on the street). Just wanted to share my excitement, though nothing I write could probably adequately express my feelings. YAY! That's as hard as I'm going to try.

No comments: