Monday, February 4, 2008

New life

I got to help welcome a new member into Christ's family yesterday. One of the most beautiful baptisms I've ever witnessed, because it truly was a celebration of new life. A soul was claimed for the Kingdom, and there was truly much rejoicing (yay). Children of all ages gathered 'round the font as Fr. Pat plunged the tiny baby into the water in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The choir burst into a chorus of Alleluias as he held her up for all of us to see. And then the community stood and welcomed our newest member. I only cringed because I knew that all those hands touching her face as she toured the sanctuary were riddled with germs that she didn't have immunity to yet. But it was only a passing thought. Mostly I was filled with tears of joy (which thankfully kept their place). I love experiences that make me so grateful to be Catholic, to be able to experience the fullness of truth, the beauty of the sacraments, and the union of the Church. I'm hoping, too, that as we start Lent, and I renew my consecration, my heart may be gently led towards conversion and held firmly in peace (since I know that the rest of my world will be crazy). May you find those same blessings this season.

No comments: