Thursday, January 17, 2008

A sad commentary

I wasn't expecting great moral theology to come from today's lecture on sexual dysfunction, don't get me wrong. But I certainly was dealt a blow when our lecturer said, and I quote to the best of my memory, "The whole point of sex is to use each other for your own pleasure." What? Yup, that's what he said. Reiterated it a few times just in case we missed it, too. And here I thought the whole purpose of sex was to so give of yourself as to become one and to share in the procreative work of the Creator. I was just disgusted and saddened, especially after the Life-Giving Freedom conference last weekend. Not only was it ignoring the truth that man can only be found in a sincere gift of himself (GS), but it was the complete opposite. I don't think it's any wonder that we are coming up on 35 years of legal abortion in our country, that divorce rates are so high, that so many children grow up with single parents, and that so many people are still so unhappy. It's because our society (and apparently our doctors!) tell us that other people are there for us to use for our own pleasure. Which inevitably permits other people to use us for their purposes. Twisted. I can't imagine anyone sits around thinking, "You know, I'd rather be used as an object than loved as a subject." But that's what our world tells us to settle for. You guys, we've got a long way to go in spreading the GOOD news. I just hope we're strong enough and convincing enough to do it.

1 comment:

MJ said...

O dear, I'm so sorry you had to witness that. I don't have much hope to offer unfortunately. I just wish there was a switch to make everyone instantly understand the Theology of the Body. People are missing out on so much...