Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My name is Laura, and I'm a normy

That's the name alcoholics give to those of us who are not. I attended my first AA meeting today (as an observer for a class), and found myself feeling very welcome. "Hi, Jim" and "Thanks, Jim" everytime someone talked. I feel like we should all acknowledge each other so much. In all truthfulness, 28 Days got it pretty right. The sharing and the repetition and the friendships and the falling down and the getting back up. AA is an interesting program, simple on the surface, odd to an observer, but very effective, very forgiving, very supportive. I'm grateful that today I was given a precious glimpse into the tragedy of alcoholism. As they said, it is a cunning disease, and the mind games that go on as one tries to achieve sobriety are impressive. It robs people of a life of dignity as they gradually lose their jobs, their families, and their control. One member said she initially felt like she was an animal at a zoo, being judged as a non-alcoholic observed her. "We're not losers." As they each talked, I could see the beauty of a life that was striving for freedom. Two had tried to commit suicide recently. One had never gotten past 29 days sober though she'd been coming for months. One started drinking at age 8. I just found myself watching them and smiling. They had given up their pride to admit they were powerless, but they were clinging to a hope that they could change. I found myself praying for them, seeing Jesus in them. It's so easy to hear "alcoholic" and to make a blanket judgment, and yes, some of these people fit that profile--homeless, jobless, criminals--but many of them were "normys" to an outsider--fathers, mothers, people you would actually smile at if you passed them on the street instead of averting your eyes. I hope I am different because of this. I hope I can better help an alcoholic that walks through my door, but I also hope I can see Jesus in the next person I see sitting on a street corner.

No comments: