Saturday, February 21, 2015

A doctor's tools



I like to think of myself as a minimalist when it comes to running tests and ordering medications in the urgent care. The nurses love it. My mother hates it. “You mean all you do is give them Motrin and a popsicle? That’s it?????” Yes, mom, that’s it. That’s all they need. Most pediatric disease is self-limited, either caused by a virus, or idiopathic (that wonderful term for “we don’t know what causes it”). Most pediatric injuries heal without major intervention. And so running a bunch of expensive, sometimes invasive tests that will most likely be normal seems like a waste in every sense of the word.

Plus, there’s a reason I went to 4 years of extra school and 3 years of indentured servitude residency. It’s called making a clinical diagnosis. You know, what doctors used to have to do for every patient, based on a good history and a thorough exam. They had to know how different heart murmurs sounded, because there was no same-day echocardiogram. They had to learn the signs of heart failure, because measuring brain natriuretic peptide hadn’t been discovered yet. And yes, they had to do a rectal exam on patients instead of getting xrays to diagnose constipation (which is still a more effective diagnostic tool, by the way). Call me crazy, but I like being a clinician instead of merely an interpreter of lab results and imaging. I pride myself on it most of the time. I spend a lot of time convincing parents that it’s a better way to go.

But if you want to make me doubt my clinical skills, if you want me to long for the ability to check a quick BMP or grab a chest x-ray, frankly, if you want to make me feel helpless, then take it all away. Put me in a teepee on the side of a mountain trying to tease out post-surgical abdominal pain in a teenage girl. Or on the phone with a worried friend who doesn’t want to make an unnecessary ER visit for her child. Or on the flag football field when someone goes down with a “pop” in one of his joints. My calm reassuring voice becomes laden with doubt, and I forget all of my training. Or at least that’s how it feels. At least for a moment. Then reason kicks in and I start to work through the problem, ruling badness in or out, looking for red flags, gathering as much information as I can.

The few physicians in my Wilderness First Responder course were sick of being outside the hospital, without any of our normal comforting resources (labs, radiology, even monitors) and not knowing what to do. We all needed a reminder that we are, in fact, clinicians first. We can use our eyes, our hands, and our brains instead of machines. I try to remind students of this when they rotate through the urgent care. It’s what I try to practice on a daily basis, even when I don’t have to, because it makes me a better doctor when I do have to.

And in reality, a popsicle is sometimes all the tool we need.

No comments: