Sunday, July 6, 2014

True freedom

Wisdom from one of the greats of Russian literature:

"The world has proclaimed the reign of freedom, especially of late, but what do we see in this freedom of theirs? Nothing but slavery and self-destruction! For the world says: 'You have desires and so satisfy them...Don't be afraid of satisfying them and even multiply your desires.' And what follows from this right of multiplication of desires? In the rich, isolation and spiritual suicide; in the poor, envy and murder...

Obedience, fasting and prayer are laughed at, yet only through them lies the way to real, true freedom. I cut off my superfluous and unnecessary desires, I subdue my proud and wanton will and chastise it with obedience, and with God's help I attain freedom of spirit and with it spiritual joy."

First published in 1879-1880, still pretty relevant, don't you think?

No comments: