Saturday, July 5, 2014

Summer lovin'

Although I don't think I'm going to make it up Mt. Massive this year, and though I'm pretty sure the Rockies' slide is due to my lack of attendance at games, and although Jazz in the Park hasn't even made it on to my radar (okay, enough, stop!), I've still had a pretty good Colorado summer. In the last week and a half alone, I've done camping, the Colorado trail, the Bike MS, Staunton State Park, and tomorrow I head out for a week at Camp Wojtyla (and yes, I do work sometimes). Who knows the fun that will be had!? I'm the "medical consultant" for the camp--basically the school nurse up there on a free ride. My own tent, someone to cook me food and perhaps let me tag along on adventures (rock climbing, Mass on a mountain, ropes courses), all in God's country...sign me up! Hopefully I'll have some worthy stories when I get back. I'm assuming so, because in the 8 hours I was up there during staff training, I got homemade camp pizza, beer on the porch with Fr. Peter, a brief class in salvation history, recertified my safe environment training, and I got to do an I&D, a nail trephination, and examine two other staffers for mild illness. It was a pretty packed day! Not that I wish anyone ill, but I do hope I can be of some use while I'm up there. But if not, I'm considering it a much needed retreat for myself. And an excuse to use my camp cookware and headlamp.

P.S. Still to come this summer--Ft. Collins brewery trip, another go at camping, Twin Sisters, Rugged Maniac, and Warrior Dash.

No comments: