Saturday, December 28, 2013

The year in books

In January, I started keeping track of each book I read--just the titles--so that when people asked me for recommendations, I would have them handy. And so that I could monitor the types of books I made it through. It has made me a little more selective of what I read (and I was already pretty darn selective), because at least a part of me wanted that list to be somewhat respectable (although James Patterson's 'NYPD Red' did make an appearance; old habits die hard).

As we near the end of the year, my list has hit 30, not bad for someone finishing out her third year of residency, moving back to Denver, and starting a new job. Although it seems the busier I get, the more I need to read for my own sanity. It is an escape, an anchor, and a way to connect.

The list includes a wide range of titles, everything from the critically acclaimed--'Olive Kitteridge', 'Devil in the White City', 'Cutting for Stone'--to compelling non-fiction--'The Emperor of All Maladies', 'Unbroken', 'An American Life'--to old classics (some of them re-reads)--'The Alchemist', 'Little Women', 'Frankenstein'--to pop-culture sensations--yes, I'm two-thirds of the way through the Divergent series, and loving it.

I read more--and more diverse--books this year than I think any year in the past, and I think being conscious of it through keeping a list was a big part of that. I'm excited to continue my pursuit of great stories in the coming year, and am always willing to take (or give) suggestions!

1 comment:

Jim Z said...

What an awesome idea...
Not only does it allow you to see the diversity, but I see it as a challenge to see how many and of what type you can read. Well done!