Saturday, December 7, 2013

Freedom

My mechanic is a doctor. Not in a metaphorical he-heals-my-car kind of way. He's literally an MD. A foreign medical grad and a family practitioner, he tried extremely hard to jump through the hoops of becoming certified in this country and was unable to. "But I'm happy," he says. As a mechanic.

I can't imagine doing all the training and sacrifice of becoming a doctor to give it up for a blue collar job. And yet, this man would rather change oil in America than be a doctor in his home country. For all that's wrong and frustrating with our country-and there's a lot-I'm grateful for the freedoms and opportunities that make it worthwhile for a doctor to change careers just to give his family a better life. And grateful that I'm not faced with the same decision.

No comments: