Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Take a good look around...

As I wind down my final hours in the city too big for one state, I'm trying to cram 3 years of memories into something a little more manageable. Besides the obvious residency events and people that I will miss so very dearly (and because it makes me too sad to think about it), I've tried to come up with a highlight reel of sorts for the city itself. And so here is my list...

Things That Weren't Able to Keep Me Away From the Mountains For Very Long (but that I will still miss)

The Z-Man. After trying probably most of the top BBQ joints in the city, I can definitively say that Oklahoma Joe's is my FAVORITE. Like don't leave a single fry crumb or drop of BBQ sauce on the tissue paper favorite. And I will dream about that onion ring perched atop a mountain of brisket and provolone, slathered in half regular/half spicy goodness, the perfectly seasoned fries, and the baked beans that are a meal in themselves. Too bad it probably doesn't ship well.

Fireflies and greenery. I know that in general, humidity is evil, but I will miss the walks in the park after dinner with overbearing foliage and flocks of lightning bugs. Reminds me of Grandma's house.

The Plaza. Let's be honest. All you really had to say was four-story Barnes and Noble and free parking and I would be there. Throw in dozens of shops that I actually don't mind setting foot in, a handful of decent eateries, and the best Christmas lights in the city, and it's even better. Plenty of days off spent window shopping. Or real shopping. And the Art Fair? Yes, please. Give me this over Park Meadows eight days a week.

Getting through the airport in less than 15 minutes. DIA is pretty much everything I loathe about air travel. I'll trade the abundance of post-security food options for the ease of walking right to my gate every time. All this is supposed to be changing, so I may not have anything to miss. Too bad. Throw fairly manageable roads in here as well, both traffic and ease of travel. KC is WAY more navigable than Denver, and I will miss the sense of freedom that comes with that.

Tank 7 on tap. 'Nuff said.

But really, compare that to mountains, blue skies, family, no humidity, mountains, more microbrews than you can count, the Broncos, family, Coors Field, mountains, the new puppy...you get the picture. I'm ready to be home. But I'll be back.




No comments: