Monday, April 15, 2013

Normal isn't a bad thing

When you're in the PICU, it's hard to find moments of normalcy. Working 70+ hours a week with a 4:40 am alarm is NOT normal. Putting in 5 chest tubes in 3 days (not me personally; I only did one of them), watching a rhythm strip progress towards asystole in a DNR patient with 25 family members in the room, running to 3 codes in one night, constantly pacing from one end of the 1/8 mile unit to the other...NOT normal.

So, imagine the treat it was to sit out on a back porch post-call, drinking Boulevard, listening to feet-tapping music, eating jalapeno-cream-cheese-and-bacon-stuffed mini peppers and homemade pizza (yeah, my friends know how to cook like whoa), and playing Mexican dominoes. Barefoot and blissfully happy.

If I can have a few of those moments every week, I may make it out of this month between a 3 and a 7.

1 comment:

Jim Z said...

A little more "blissfully" please. :-)