Monday, September 3, 2012

Verso l'alto

We're getting down to the wire with the Kilimanjaro training. Just packed up all my stuff to make sure I was under the weight limit, and I'm about to head out on a hike. I still can't believe we're doing this. Remember how only crazy people climb mountains? Nineteen-thousand-foot mountains?

At this point I'm down to a few last minute purchases (snacks, lithium batteries, cheap paperback for the airports) and tasks (put the mail on hold, remember to start my malaria pills), and trying to keep up on the workouts without getting totally burned out.

As I collected prayer requests to take with me to the top of the mountain and back, I was struck primarily by two things. First, I have incredible, holy friends. People willing to pray for us, and asking me to pray for their vocations, growth in holiness, dear friends for whom they are storming heaven, etc. I am super blessed to be surrounded by awesome examples of Christ's love and sacrifice. Secondly, there is a lot of suffering in this world. As the intentions came in, my heart broke as my loved ones shared with me their fears and pain. It's not insurmountable, as we have a God that is bigger than all of it, but it drove home the fact that this life just doesn't make sense unless through the eyes of faith. We were made for more, and the road is not easy, but worth it. I can't imagine trying to make it alone.

Please keep praying for us as we get closer to launch. And please, if you have other prayer requests, shoot them my way. I'll offer up the sleeplessness, fatigue, knee pain, and discomfort for grace for you.

No comments: