Sunday, October 2, 2011

Opa

I'm wishing I could be at home today, reminiscing with my family, looking back at albums full of pictures, telling stories and shedding tears, and remembering a great, great man.

James Richard Zapapas, Sr. died early this morning, peacefully.

I remember the pride in his voice when he talked about The Candy Kitchen and Purdue, how he would tear up talking about how blessed he was to have his family, how he was never without his stack of "gas money", how he would get that smile on his face when he said, "Girls, I think we may just have to get a messy sundae" and how his fingers automatically rearranged his gin rummy hand. I will always remember his generosity and how important family was to him--perhaps his two biggest legacies.


And I will always, always be proud to be a Zapapas.

No comments: