Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dear Patient...

When you are a patient in the hospital, your world is pretty small. All you know (especially if you're on isolation precautions and can't leave the room) is one tiny room, the TV channels that get streamed in (Nintendo Wii if you're lucky), the room service menu that's available, and the people that wander in and out throughout the day. If you're like most, you'll see your resident (and possibly a medical student) in the morning, then the whole team will come by on rounds, crowd your room, talk about you like you're not there, and gawk at you in general.

When they leave, that's it. You'll wonder what the heck goes on the rest of the day and where that doctor is and why they always seem so rushed. You're just focused on getting better and don't understand why tests take so long to run, why you have to stay another day when you're feeling so well, or why you can't stay an extra day to play Bingo (this happened today).

I know that for you, it may be your first time being sick, taking medicine, having surgery, getting an MRI, etc. So please be patient with us when we forget. Because for us, you are one of 18 patients we have to take care of. We spend the rest of the day writing notes, admitting new patients, discharging people who are ready to go home, calling consulting services, ordering new labs and medicines and tests, going to lectures, reading about your disease, and following that one patient who seems intent on a one-way ticket back to the ICU.

I say that not as an excuse, but so that you understand that I wish it were different. I wish I could spend all day with you and not in front of a computer. But know that even though we don't see you, we're thinking about you all day long, talking about you, learning about you, problem-solving for you. So go easy on us, and remind us when we forget, what it's like to be you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's SO true. I was thinking just the other day how I hadn't seen a patient since 7am (it was probably 8 or 9 at night by then), but I was constantly watching his vitals, looking at his labs, reading the consult and nursing notes. I knew every intimate detail about him, but I hadn't actually seen him. I wanted so bad to tell him how focused I was on his care throughout that day even if I wasn't there, but I not so sure he would have understood. It's a good thing to keep in mind! Thanks Laura!