Sunday, July 19, 2009

Milestones



Congrats to Abby Wambach for her 100th career international goal (And Heather Mitts for her 100th cap), joining the ranks of Mia Hamm (who, incidentally also scored her 100th in Rochester), Kristine Lilly, Michelle Akers, and Tiffany Milbrett. Supported by family and friends in her hometown, she had multiple chances throughout the match, as her teammates did their best to help her knock one in. "I don't think they were passing it to anyone else."

Although I actually missed seeing the goal, being the lone member of my family able to cheer on the youngest Zapapi in softball greatness this afternoon, I did enjoy screaming my way through the first half, enjoying the chance to shout "HAO", watch Julie Foudy be the only respectable women commentator on ESPN, or at all for that matter, and see Abby muscle her way through the box. I told my friend Lisa, "You remind me of Abby Wambach, if you were 5'11" and a beast." She wasn't quite sure if it was a compliment or not. It was. Or at least neutral; they just look alike. Also got me REAL excited to see all the stars in person in a week. Prepare for some major yelling.

And watch the next friendly, Wednesday 8 pm EST, on Fox Soccer Channel (or via Match Tracker on ussoccer.com)

No comments: