Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday

9 months ago today, I adopted Luke. At a Sunday Mass at St. Vincent de Paul, we were invited to choose a blue or pink heart with a prayer written on it. By doing so, we spiritually adopted a brand new baby, just beginning its journey in its mother's womb. We were invited to pray this prayer daily for our growing baby, and for his or her family, who was facing the difficult situation of perhaps an unwanted pregnancy. I prayed for Luke (mostly) every day, taping the heart on my bathroom mirror, thinking each day about what new body part or function he was gaining that week, and how he was growing. And today, I trust that through God's grace and not my own offerings, Luke is born, a new miracle. Hopefully to be well-loved by his family, but I know he is well-loved and desired by his Father. And I hope to meet him some day in heaven to know this miracle that I've prayed for for so long.

No comments: