Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Hey batter batter

Tonight I donned my cleats and glove for the first time in...it's been too long when I can't even remember the last time I really played softball. And it's probably been 6 years since I've been on the mound even though I can't believe it's really been that long. I love that feeling of being in control, making sure the infield is ready, yelling "2 outs, play's at 1st", taking a breath, releasing the ball...I'm totally in my element. Even in a group of strangers, like tonight, I become like a different person, it's hard to explain. We talked a while ago about how, for athletes, playing sports is the ultimate ice breaker. You don't need small talk or awkward conversations. You really don't even need to know people's names. But you can encourage each other and celebrate and create memories all the same. Of course, for those for whom sports are a dreaded nightmare of embarrassment, it's not such a pleasant situation. But for me, it's where I can shine. It's not even that I'm fantastic, because I never made it to the varsity level in any sport, but I just feel at home on the field, any field (well, not the tennis court). Still...I badly need a trip to the batting cages. Six years is TOO LONG.

Speaking of sports, how freaking awesome are the Olympics!!! I love watching all of it (okay maybe not watching the Chinese take 8 diving golds and both team gymnastic golds). It's such sportsmanship and glory and sheer talent and determination that you only get to see every 4 years. It's beautiful. And Michael Phelps looks like a boat gliding through the water when he does freestyle. He didn't even have to try to win his heat in the IM prelims. And even though they've cost me a lot of good sleep...USA USA USA (I LOVE SOCCER!!!!!!!!) I won't attempt a full blog on that very worthy topic (maybe at some future date...perhaps after a gold medal...), but I will say that I woke up my whole house with a "YES!" when Carli Lloyd knocked in the goal against Japan, and seeing us crush New Zealand was fantastic, even though I managed to miss the setup of 3 of the 4 goals. I have such bad timing for getting coffee, flipping pancakes, etc. But my play-by-play was about a minute ahead of the video feed, so I was prepared for the 4th goal (of course it took me until the 4th goal to figure that out...naturally). Anyways, here's to a rockin' game on Friday.

1 comment:

M Zap said...

Two posts in three days...you must be bored with your time off.

Gotta love the flyin' Hawaiian!!! I almost was late to rounds because I had to wait for the game to finish this morning.