Thursday, August 21, 2008

Golden Girls


The US Women's soccer team just did what ABK Girls have never done--back 2 back titles--2 Gold medals! When Carli Lloyd's ball beat Brazil's keeper far post in overtime, at least 3 people in our class visibly jumped, focused more on the live feed than on the lecture. The next 17 odd minutes were some of the longest of my life. I'd said going into this match that even a silver would be an accomplishment given our young team, a new style of play, and the absence of our most dominant scorer, especially given that I knew this team could beat Brazil after our lead-up "friendlies." However, watching the game, I realized how much I can't stand Brazil and wanted to just pound their faces into the dirt. I don't like how negative I am towards such talented players, but it can't be helped when Cristiane ruins a good scoring chance by faking an injury just to catch her breath. And what's with the first name thing. It was fine with Pele. Even Ronaldo. But every player? They're not ALL good enough to just be one name.

But props to a great Brazilian team for a good game. They truly are talented. But make no mistake. They are second best. Pia pulled out the best in this team, utilizing our speed, experience, leadership, and talent like Greg Ryan never had to. Seven different players scored goals in this tournament, proving that this truly was a team effort and that Abby Wambach was a leader, but not our only weapon. For such a young team, this shows great promise. And it was what the new Women's Professional Soccer league could have only dreamed of the year before exhibition.

If I weren't sitting in class, if I could vocalize the crazy soundtrack in my head, it would be something along the lines of, "HECK YES TAKE THAT BRAZIL AND GREG RYAN WE ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD CARLI LLOYD IS MY HERO AND LORI CHALUPNY AND REAL SOCCER MOMS LIKE MARKGRAF AND RAMPONE AND POOR LIL WHO MISSED THIS AND TAKE THAT WHOEVER BROKE ABBY WAMBACH'S LEG WE WON WITHOUT HER YAY PIA FOR TAKING A RISK WOOOOOOHOOOOO!"

But I'm in class, and I have to pay attention now. USA USA USA!

1 comment:

MJ said...

What a game. I had meetings through the morning but i was able to watch the OT. I attempted to work while doing it but that really didn't accomplish anything. Go USA!