Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Those who are healthy

Working in urgent care and emergency rooms, we see whatever walks through the door. That means whatever. It means the 64-year-old with appendicitis (yes, at the Children's ER), the 8-year-old who ran over his ankle with a motorized scooter and has severed nerves and blood vessels, and the toddler who had a black marker stain on his foot. At one in the morning. True story.

In the midst of all the real emergencies, it's so easy to become cynical towards the families bringing their kids in with marker stains (and trust me, it happens WAY more often than you would think!). It's so easy to judge parents, grandparents, foster parents who I think should know when to bring their kid in and when it's okay to watch at home. I get frustrated that after motrin, a popsicle, and a sticker, they look just peachy and ready to go home.

Then I read in the Gospel of Luke about the call of Levi, where Jesus tells the similarly judgmental Pharisees that "Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do." Can you see the 2x4 shaped mark on my head? Obviously no one wants to bring their kid to the Urgent Care at three in the morning. No one wants their kid to be crying and sick and miserable. They came because they need a physician. Even if all that physician needs to do is reassure them, give their kid a popsicle, and tell them what to expect for the next few days. Even if all that physician needs to do is check for an ear infection, eyeball a rash, or, yes, clean off the marker stain with an alcohol wipe.

And what a privilege it should be to treat those kids. What a privilege it should be to offer a little bit of hope, help, or healing. No matter what.

The last few days I've tried to remember that as I walk into my shift, to bring compassion to every patient, not just the ones who I think are sick enough to see me. After all, they wouldn't be there if they didn't need something.

No comments: