Sunday, January 25, 2015

Tony, Tony, come around

This week I found two things I had been missing for quite a while. The first was a down glove, worn nearly all the time in the winter, a favorite--probably fallen out of my jacket pocket at some unknown location, and I never expected to see it again. I was at work on Wednesday and lo and behold, there it was, perched on the coat rack in the locker room, lonely and waiting for its owner. The second was my consecration bracelet, of which I have lost more than any one person should in a lifetime. I assumed I lost this one while shoveling one day and so was waiting for the snow to melt, confident that I would find it eventually, but impatient for that day to come. And so for this I implored St. Anthony, patron of lost items, with a confidence that I couldn't explain. I found the bracelet two days ago, while loading a piece of furniture into Michelle's trunk (long story) and there is was next to the ice scraper and the washer fluid. Tony comes through again!

Devotion to St. Anthony, especially in relation to lost items, has been a Catholic practice for many years. It is believed to have arisen from an incident in the saint's life, where he prayed for the return of a psalter (book of Psalms) that had been stolen, and the thief was moved to bring it back. Since learning about this devotion as a teenage, the words "Tony, Tony, come around, something's lost and can't be found" have crossed my despairing lips many times. In some ways, I hesitate to put faith in his intercession, because is it really any different than the superstitions we are to avoid? And yet, he has never, never failed to lead me to the lost item (except for the previous 4 or so consecration bracelets), so I also hesitate to abandon the practice.

This most recent time, when my consecration bracelet once again went missing, I immediately called up St. Anthony, and felt a peace in my heart that he would answer. I sensed that God wanted me to trust Him, wanted me to find it, and wanted me to delight in His help. And that I think is the distinction. Between superstition and intercession. God delights in us, and wants to show us His delight. I feel this every time I see a beautiful sunset, whenever a white butterfly joins me on a hike (it means Grandma is with me), and every time one of my obscure prayers is answered in an unexpected way. And I think He delights in showing me that He can surprise me in the little things.

Several weeks ago, Michelle had lost a favorite ring and had invoked St. Anthony's help. A few days later, I found the ring in a bowl of grapes in the fridge; it had come off while she was washing them. She was ecstatic. Delighted. Just as I was when I found my glove. And my ring. I smiled at God: "You've done it again," I thought. Just as someone leaves a love note, God wants to show us that we are always on His mind. And that the saints are a powerful aid for all things, great and small.

So I will continue to trust in St. Anthony's intercession. Not because I am superstitious, but because I believe in God. He can choose to answer either way, and it doesn't change His power or His love for me. An item that stays lost doesn't mean I didn't pray hard enough or the right way; just that it stays lost. God still is. And He still delights in me.

No comments: